Church of St. George
كنيسة القديس جورج
006- Byzantine Period
Also known as the Church of the Map, this Greek Orthodox church was built in 1884 on the ruins of an older Byzantine church. It incorporates sections of a mosaic floor that date to around 560 CE. The mosaic is a map of the Holy Land with the oldest existing representation of Jerusalem. Among other locations, it depicts the Jordan River, the Dead Sea, Egypt, Lebanon, and Turkey.
The Church of St. George is at the center of the city of Madaba, 30 km southwest of Amman.