The Arab Wall consists of boulders piled less than one meter high, extending 100 km from Wadi Hasa to Ras al-Naqb. It might have been an Edomite or Nabatean defensive wall, rendered more effective by watchtowers and larger forts behind the wall to send reinforcements. Interestingly, the original design of the Roman Hadrian’s Wall, built later in Great Britain, matches this wall. Stone tools found near the Arab Wall suggest an earlier construction period and a different purpose.
Much of the wall has been destroyed by neglect or development. The wall intersects the road between Petra and Ma’an, east of the village of Ail, at the GPS coordinates: 30.1848°, 35.5684°. The remains of an encampment is located on the wall half a kilometer north from this point at the GPS coordinates: 30.1866°, 35.5724°. The Grayn Fort is 10 km south of the village of Ail at the GPS coordinates: 30.1241°, 35.4794°.